Archive for March, 2012

h1

Monomodular b993…ploop!

March 24, 2012

Actually, I put the link to this stuff up last week.  I think that a few people noticed, so if you’ve already downloaded version b993, you should do so again:  I’ve made some recent fixes and additions (like the new modlink mod).

Immense gratitude to the pre-release beta testers that have been helping out with this.  There was a bunch of stuff to do, and you guys did it.

Now, of course, the rest of you are beta testers too….but all the really hard work has been done on this one, I think.

I’ve added a great amount of material to the Wiki lately.  I’ll keep adding to it as I have time, especially for the individual mods.

You should have a look at the readme in the b993 package.  There are a LOT of changes, and I’m not about to list them all here.  But here’s a summary of the main additions:

 

New MonoLinkClient for monome emulation….it DOESN’T require Max for Live.

New modlink mod (replaces old monolink mod).  Now supports SerialOSC, and multiple instances should work, like, groovy, man.

Several new ports:  Live Clip Chopper, Grainstorm, _xor.

New modMode ‘ALT’ functions:  Mute, Select Device, View Device, Power.

Better Device selection behavior for MonOhm and AumPad scripts.

Included a new Code template for the Lemur….it does everything a real Livid Code does.

More bugfixes than I feel like listing…see the readme included with the content.

 

There were a LOT of changes in this one.  I’m still working on things, and will regularly update the content, but for the time being I’ve run out of time to work on this (and spent too much time on this one anyway….it really should have been two separate releases), so it’s time to push this version out.

Documentation for the new MonoLinkClient is somewhat lacking at the moment, but I’m probably not going to spend a great deal of time on it until the next release.  I want to get some feedback about how well everything works, and then I will make some changes to things.

I’ll try to get a video up next week, but I have other priorities at the moment, so…..anyone else want to make some tutorials for MonoLinkClient?

I have a huge list of stuff to start working on for b994, and I really didn’t even finish what I had intended for the present release.  But progress is progress.  I’ll write another blog post about that on Monday or something.

Have fun, and as usual:  this is beta, please let me know what problems you are having, so I can fix them.  If you have questions about things, email me or leave a comment here so others have a chance to see the answer as well.

Happy Blinking!

 

http://www.aumhaa.com/Monomodular/Monomodular_b993.zip

h1

Closure()

March 6, 2012

I’m getting very close with this b993 thing….I worked out the bug with the DeviceControlComponent earlier this evening….a simple problem with a complicated fix that was simply implemented by a closure in the right place.  I love closures 🙂

I’ve gotten a little feedback from users of a test release of b993, and no one has had anything bad to say.  All that’s left to do is tidy up the packaging, add a mute indicator for the new ModMute functionality, and add the MonoLinkClient support to the half of the Python scripts that it hasn’t been already ammended.  You’ll like it, I think. More details about this with the release, and I need to hand it off to a couple of beta testers, but here’s a teaser, if you haven’t already seen it, from about a week ago (when I’d just confirmed it was possible):

What does that mean?  Well, I’ve assembled a new Monoclient script that lives in Monomodular, and it’s capable of sending and receiving  directly from Live via _osc._udp (this isn’t really news, LiveOSC has been doing it forever); it also publishes all its connection information via ZeroConf/Bonjour, so any of the new monome patches supporting serialosc will be VERY easy to connect to.  This means that your grid-based, Monomodular compliant device will now be a ‘ringer’ for a real monome, sharing its connection protocol without needing any intermediary apps.  Just load the scripts in Live, and all the connection configuration can be handled by pressing ‘Alt’ and entering the information from the grid.  If it’s a serialosc app your trying to connect to, you don’t even need to do that:  you just hit the ‘connect’ button on the monome app, and your device will be automagically connected.  YOU DON’T NEED M4L.  It’s not going to be as fast as the m4l monolink, but I’ve been using it over the last several days, and its plenty fast for most things.  The proof will be in the pudding, though, I guess.

Oh, and I’m now taking suggestions to add to the default user configuration file for handling automatic (preset) connections.  What does that mean?  Well, basically, I want to know what the most popular monome apps are among users, and I’ll put their connection information into the script so you don’t have to do it later.  Right now, I have Polygome, Molar, and 7up in the registry, but I need twelve more.  They can be serialosc or monomeserial, as the new script does both types of connections.  You can always input the port data directly by way of the Mod grid, but the User Configuration file will allow you to store 16 preset addresses (as well as their prefixes and communication protocols) so you can get to them quickly, just like you would with normal Mods in m4l.

At this point it looks like b993 is going to be the testing ground for a whole lot of new things.

a