Archive for December, 2012

h1

Looking forward to the new year!

December 27, 2012

Just a quick note to let everyone know that b995 is on its way!  I’ve finished most of the hard stuff, and now I’m sifting through all the bugs I’ve introduced by all the new changes.  All I can say is that I’m really happy with the prospects, and I’m looking forward to writing some really cool patches with the new methods I’m using.  I got to perform with the new version of Hex and EndCoders last night, it was a lot of fun!

b995 is quite a mess, really, but I knew it would be.  There are a lot of internal changes and I had to write everything while keeping in mind that I’ll soon have to radically change the structure in b996 to accomodate Live9 integration.  BUT:  it’s almost done.  b996 will be pretty boring for you guys, but it will get us into Live9.  That’s something a lot of you (and myself, as well) are looking forward to.

I’ll be in San Francisco running sound for Sea of Dreams to bring in the new year, if you’re looking for something to do I’m sure it will be a blast.  Hold tight, you’ll be seeing some activity in short order 🙂

 

a

 

h1

Fail.

December 6, 2012

So, I’d previously promised a Live-native solution for multichannel MIDI.  I’d been testing things in Python in this regard, and had some really good results.  Well, after putting everything together and testing it, I found that a real-world prototype didn’t match the performance of my initial testing (but did match the performance of my testing results a year ago….sigh….I should’ve known).  So scratch that.

Otherwise, things are going well.  I’ve managed to shoehorn Boiingg, PressCafe, Polygome, and TR256 into hex without having to make many compromises.  Initial testing is encouraging….this is going to be FUN!  I have a block of time to finish things this weekend, so hopefully there will be at least an SVN commit coming in the next week with bug fixes from the b994 release and some new pre-release b995 stuff.  Stay tuned!

 

h1

The Old Man is Snoring

December 3, 2012

That’s how it is here, anyway:  “Wet”.  It’s been raining for days.

I’ve made steady progress in getting things ready for b995.  CNTRL:R is already ported over to Monomodular, and I have a working version of “hex” for the other grid controllers.  It’s getting exciting!  I plan on fleshing out Polygome, PressCafe, and Boiingg style sequencing with it in the coming days, as well as some other goodies.  In addition, I still have to improve the timing mechanism and squash some bugs.

Steve Noreyko has been working on the Wiki, adding in bits and fixing my mistakes, which is extremely welcome help for me.  Please, let me know if you’re interested in participating in that sort of thing, I’m happy to set you up an account on the wiki.  Outside contributions make things much more readable for the masses, as I know I tend to gloss over a lot of things that I just assume users are already familiar with.

I’ve also been checking some of the new Codec stuff:  there are definitely some errors, and hopefully I can get the fixes incorporated into the next pre-b995  incremental update.

I’ve had some inquiries about Live9 compatibility for both my own scripts as well as the stock Livid stuff.  It’s coming, but don’t expect it until b996.  Even though I’ve confirmed that our methods will work in Live9, I know it’s much less trouble in the long run to wait until closer to final release of Live9.  In addition, there is a great deal of work I’ll have to do, and I’d rather wrap it all up into the b996 release, just for the sake of my own sanity. In any case, if you’re interested in testing send me some mail and I’ll get you out test versions as soon as I get them ready.  I’m anxious to start testing in Live9 myself, but simply haven’t had the time to comit to it with everything else that’s going on for me.

Monomodular b996 is probably not going to see a whole lot of visible changes, but I’ll be recoding the entire back-end to get rid of redundancies, smooth transitions, and make things faster overall.  I’m hoping to incorporate a few coding conventions I’ve learned recently.  The more projects I get involved in, the more important it is to make my code-base self-sutaining.  Otherwise, I end up spending all my time rewriting things and making small changes to a huge number of scripts.  It’s something I’m learning to avoid.