If you can’t say anything nice, then add some stuff to svn.
I’ve been hard at work since my last blog post trying to get Monomodular working in Live 9.
The good news: some stuff is working. I was able to get AumTroll and MonOhm working together in my own setup, although I haven’t done extensive testing. I’ve also gotten the LaunchMod script working (and boy, was that a pain in the arse!).
The bad news: Live 9 sucks. Well, not necessarily from the end-user’s view, but from the viewpoint of a programmer who was already having to hack into the backend of Ableton’s code, things have become considerably more difficult for those of us who are not working with the official Cucumber debugger. New methods in the _Framework have essentially broken any error reporting that doesn’t happen in the very top level of code, which means now things just break and there’s no way to find out what the cause was other than adding explicit lines of debug code myself, and even that is only moderately effective. In addition, Live no longer recompiles and reloads the scripts each time you add or remove them from preferences, so its now necessary to restart Live every single time I change a line of code in one of my scripts. Bottom line: the whole process is much more tedious and takes a good deal longer.
Oh, and the current decompiles of the included Live 9 scripts available are fairly unusable for more than just educational purposes. Just saying, that’s all. Presumably the method being used is decompyle2, and although it does a really good job, assertions are not being rendered properly and will fail to compile correctly in Live 9′s Python interpreter. I wish I could say I’ve done better myself, but I am using the same methods and the only solution is to go through and carefully hand marshall all the incompatible lines with correspond valid syntax. It’s painful.
I’ve added the currently working scripts to the SVN repository for those of you that want to try things out. Let me know what you discover, there are sure to be lots of bugs with all this stuff. I’m slowly but surely getting through most of the old scripts.
It is now necessary to have the “_Mono_Framework” folder installed for the scripts to work. This is a generalization of the most useful and prevalent scripts I’ve written, and will be the model going forward for all the stuff I’m working on. When updating to new versions, it is extremely important to make sure that you’re using the most recent version of these scripts, and I haven’t come to any conclusions about how I’m going to marshall that process, so for the time being just replace the “_Mono_Framework” folder with the current version every time you download a new revision and you should be fine.
I’m currently trying to get the AumPC scripts done, but I’ve run into a very frustrating problem I haven’t been able to solve yet so I’m not sure when it will be finished.
It seems I might have gotten left out of the loop in regards of getting an Ableton Push in a timely manner. Oh well, their loss I guess. I’m not going to be bothered to write cool stuff for it if they can’t send me the hardware….hell, I’m even paying for the damned thing! Anyway, some of you had been asking, so there’s your answer: it’s still “Vaporware” as far as I’m concerned
Oh, and for those of you concerned about my health (mostly just me, but still…), I apparently might be getting better. But quite honestly, all these meds are making me sleepy and cranky….I’ll sure be glad when things are back to normal!