What’s up with Monomodular?!
Hello to all of you out there in grid-land, and anyone who reads this blog. I wanted to make a quick post to let you know where things are with Live9 integration, and Monomodular as a whole.
First of all, I applaud the patience of those users who continue to use Monomodular in its current state in Live9….I can’t say that even I am among your ranks. Fact is, I haven’t used Live9 at all for creative purposes yet, and I sure as hell haven’t moved my Monomodular sessions over to it. Mostly, thus far, I’ve only had Live9 open to test Python scripts that are being ported over from Live8. Any testing of m4l has been very cursory, just to see if things “appear to work”. Furthermore, I’m afraid I’ve probably broken most of the links in SVN to Monomodular’s b994 content for Live8….sorry guys, but progress sometimes requires sacrifice, and I had to do some restructuring.
The good news: I’ve made a lot of progress. Most of the Python code is fairly stable now in Live9, but I know there are still plenty of bugs in there. It’s been my ambition to reduce the redundancy of the internal components and subclass everything following proper Pythonic conventions so that in the future it won’t be such a headache to change and maintain things.
The bad news: I have a lot less spare time than I used to, and Life has been kicking me in the ass for a little while…I’m still not sure when this will be done. But I work on it every day, so the prospects for completion sometime this month are good.
I just wanted to reiterate that I really appreciate all the help I get from you in the way of questions and bug reports. This has been a much bigger task than I anticipated (although, really, did I think it was going to be an easy thing to sift through and rewrite three years of work? Yes, apparently I did…silly boy).
For those of you who want to try things out while I’m still finishing b995, here’s what I can tell you:
Make sure to download the most current version of SVN repository, here:
Make sure to only use b995 patches with the Live9 Python scripts.
Make sure to read the wiki, and put things where they go manually. Roughly the same rules apply for Live9/b995 as they did for Live8/b994….here’s some advice:
Make sure that when you download a new version of the repository that you replace ALL the relevant files, especially the Python files. The Live9 scripts heavily depend on one another, and upon the _Mono_Framework folder. These files change regularly, and it’s important (especially during the development process) that the most current versions be used so that they all get along with one another.
If you’re using OSX and want to try the installer, I’ve built one that works on my system, but you’ll have to drop me some email in order to get it: I really need get some feedback about it, and that’s the only sure way I can do it.
Make sure to send me bug reports….I am not currently using any of this stuff beyond programming it, so if I don’t hear about a problem from you it’s definitely not going to get fixed. That will hopefully change in the near future after I get the Python stuff finished (along with the Livid backlog I’m working on), but in the meantime it really helps when you can send me details and a log.txt file so I can track it down.
As always, thanks for the love….I don’t do this for the money, so its really great to hear from you and know that you’re using my work even when I don’t have the time to. It makes it much more satisfying, and gives me hope that I, too, will soon be blinking again!
P.S. I’ve made statements to several of you lately via comments about specific bugs/problems that I haven’t checked on yet….don’t despair, the fact that they are in comments here gives me a reference to them, and I’m going to start working on that tonight.